Volume 17 | Issue 3 | July – September 2022 | Page 26-28 | Gurunath Shankar Kulkarni, Himanshu Gurunath Kulkarni, Sidheshwar Shrikrushna Thosar
Authors: Gurunath Shankar Kulkarni , Himanshu Gurunath Kulkarni , Sidheshwar Shrikrushna Thosar 
 Shraddha Surgical and Accident Hospital, Civil Hospital Chowk, Ambedkar Road, Sangli, Maharashtra 416416, India
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Sidheshwar Shrikrushna Thosar,
Shraddha Surgical and Accident Hospital, Civil Hospital Chowk, Ambedkar Road, Sangli, Maharashtra 416416, India
Although not rare, myxomas are benign tumours of uncommon incidence. Intramuscular myxomas are of very rare occurrence, incidence ranging from 0.1 to 0.13 per 100,000. Less than 200 cases of Intramuscular myxoma have been reported in literature by now and to the best of our knowledge, none of them in Peroneus longus. We report a case of intramuscular myxoma found in Peroneus Longus of a 32 year old male. A 32 year old male presented with a painless lump on upper part of his right leg. The swelling had gradually increased in size since its appearance 8 months prior to his visit. On MRI location into peroneus longus confirmed. Surgical excision done and histopathology was suggestive of myxoma. We report probably the first case of an intra muscular myxoma of Peroneus longus muscle. From an orthopaedic surgeons point of view, possibility of Mazabraud’s syndrome should be kept in mind and skeletal survey should be carried out if needed to rule out fibrous dysplasia.
Keywords: Myxoma, peroneus longus, Surgical excision, intramuscular, Mazabraud’s syndrome
1. Shugar JM, Som PM, Meyers RJ, et al. Intramuscular head and neck myxoma: report of a case and review of the literature. Laryngoscope 1987;97:105–7.
2. Nishijima W, Tokita N, Watanabe I, et al. Intramuscular myxoma of the neck. Arch Otolaryngol 1985;111:699–701.
3. Ozbek N, Danaci M, Okumus B, Gursel B, Cakir S, Dabak N, Karagoz F. Recurrent intramuscular myxoma: review of the literature, diagnosis and treatment options. Turk J Cancer. 2006;36(2):75.
4. Allen PW. Myxoma is not a single entity: a review of the concept of myxoma. Ann DiagnPathol 2000;4:99–123.
5. Zac Tataryn et al, Intramuscular myxoma of the cervical paraspinal musculature: case report and review of the literature, American journal of Otorhinolaryngology,2014, volume 36, issue 2,273-276.
6. Murphey M, McRae G, Fanburg-Smith J et al: Imaging of soft-tissue myxo¬ma with emphasis on CT and MR and comparison of radiologic and patho¬logic findings. Radiology, 2002; 225: 215–24
7. Stout AP: Myxoma the tumor of primitive mesenchyme. Ann Surg, 1948; 127: 706–19
8. Enzinger FM: Intramuscular myxoma a review and follow-up study of 34 cases. AM J ClinPathol, 1965; 43: 104–13
9. Ishoo E: Intramuscular myxoma presenting as a rare posterior neck mass in a young child: case report and literature review. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133: 398 401, 2007.
10. Shuitingfu, Zhuowei tian, Chenpingzhang,yue he, Monosotic fibrous dysplasia and solitary intramuscular myxoma of the head and neck: A unique presentation of Mazabraud’s syndrome and a literature review, Oncol Lett. 2015 November; 10(5): 3087–3094.
11. Zou, Lily Y.; Brown, Desmond A.; Li, Albert C. Intramuscuar Myxoma, Ultrasound Quarterly: September 2013 – Volume 29 – Issue 3 – p 255–256doi: 10.1097/RUQ.0b013e3182a25746
12. Luna, A., S. Martinez, and E. Bossen, Magnetic resonance imaging of intramuscular myxoma with histological comparison and a review of the literature. Skeletal Radiol, 2005. 34(1): p. 19‐28.
13. Ozawa H, Fujii M, Tomita T, et al. Intramuscular myxoma of scalene muscle: a case report. AurisNasus Larynx 2004;31: 319–22.
14. Aind R A, Dwivedi M K, Pal R, Devangan L, Shekhar P V. Intramuscular myxoma of gluteal region. Indian J Radiol Imaging 2004;14:177-8
15. Larentzakis A, Toutouzas K and Katsaragakis S: Intramuscular myxoma associated with an increased carbohydrate antigen 19.9 level in a woman: a case report. J Med Case Rep 5: 184, 2011.
16. Orlandi A, Bianchi L, Marino B, Spangnoli LG, Nini G. Intramuscular myxoma of the face an unusual localization. DermatolSurg 1995;21:251–4.
17. Large ND, Niebel HH, Feredricks WH. Myxoma of the jaws. Oral Surg Med PatholRadiol 1960;13:1462–8.
|How to Cite this article: Kulkarni GS, Kulkarni HG, Shrikrushna Thosar SS. Myxoma… An Enigma!. Journal of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery July-Sep 2022;17(3): 26-28.|
(Abstract Full Text HTML) (Download PDF)