Volume 15 | Issue 3 | July-September 2020 | Page 20-23 | Anurag H. Daxini, Vijay M. Panchanadikar
Authers: Anurag H. Daxini , Vijay M. Panchanadikar 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital and Research Centre, Pune, India
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Vijay Panchanadikar,
Department of Orthopaedics, Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital, Pune, India
Distal biceps tendon rupture is a rare condition occurring in young adults due to eccentric extension load applied to a flexed elbow. Patients usually present with pain, history of popping sound and bulge in affected arm. The diagnosis can be made with simple clinical tests and confirmed by ultrasonography (USG) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) The condition is a challenging entity to an orthopaedic surgeon due to proximity of neurovascular bundle. Different surgeons prefer different techniques each having its own merits and demerits. Results of reattachment of the distal biceps have been shown to be superior to conservative treatment. Our experience with a male adult is presented who came with clinical signs and symptoms of distal biceps tendon rupture. USG and MRI confirmed our diagnosis. Double incision technique was used and the retracted end of the tendon brought down and braided with heavy non absorbable suture. The tendon was then pulled through the posterolateral incision and buried in a trap door made over the radial tuberosity. Over subsequent follow up good range of elbow motion and pronation-supination was achieved without any complication. With early diagnosis and surgical intervention, an excellent functional outcome can be expected.
Keywords: distal biceps rupture, double incision..
1. Safran MR, Graham SM. Distal biceps tendon ruptures: incidence, demographics, and the effect of smoking. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002 Nov;404:275-83.
2. D’Alessandro DF, Shields CL Jr, Tibone JE, et al. Repair of distal biceps tendon ruptures in athletes. Am J Sports Med. 1993; 21:114–119.
3. Sutton KM, Dodds SD, Ahmad CS, Sethi PM. Surgical treatment of distal biceps rupture. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2010;18:139-48.
4. Bain GI, Johnson LJ, Turner PC. Treatment of partial distal biceps tendon tears. Sports Med Arthrosc 2008;16:154-61. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/JSA.0b013e318183eb60.
5. Bell RH, Wiley WB, Noble JS, Kuczynski DJ. Repair of distal biceps brachii tendon ruptures. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2000;9:223-6.
6. Morrey BF, Askew LJ, An KN, Dobyns JH. Rupture of the distal tendon of the biceps brachii. A biomechanical study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1985;67:418-21.
7. Baker BE, Bierwagen D. Rupture of the distal tendon of the biceps brachii. Operative versus non-operative treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1985;67:414-7.
8. D’Alessandro DF, Shields CL Jr, Tibone JE, Chandler RW. Repair of distal biceps tendon ruptures in athletes. Am J Sports Med 1993;21: 114-9.
9. Miyamoto RG, Elser F, Millett PJ. Distal biceps tendon injuries. J Bone Joint Surg Am2010;92:2128-38. http : // dx. doi. org / 10.2106 / JBJS . I.01213.
10. Bain GI, Prem H, Heptinstall RJ, Verhellen R, Paix D. Repair of distal biceps tendon rupture: a new technique using the Endobutton. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2000;9:120-6.
11. Boyd HB, Anderson LD. A method for reinsertion of the distal biceps brachii tendon. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1961;43:1041-3.
12. Citak M, Backhaus M, Seybold D, Suero EM, Schildhauer TA, Roetman B. Surgical repair of the distal biceps brachii tendon: a comparative study of three surgical fixation techniques. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2011;19:1936-41. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00167-011-1591-0.
13. El-Hawary R, Macdermid JC, Faber KJ, Patterson SD, King GJ. Distal biceps tendon repair: comparison of surgical techniques. J Hand Surg Am 2003;28:496-502. http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/ jhsu.2003.50081
14. Gregory T, Roure P, Fontes D. Repair of distal biceps tendon rupture using a suture anchor: description of a new endoscopic procedure. Am J Sports Med 2009;37:506-11. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1177/ 0363546508326985
15. Idler CS, Montgomery WH 3rd, Lindsey DP, Badua PA, Wynne GF, Yerby SA. Distal biceps tendon repair: a biomechanical comparison of intact tendon and 2 repair techniques. Am J Sports Med 2006;34:968-74. http://dx.doi.org /10.1177/ 0363546505284185.
16. Chavan PR, Duquin TR, Bisson LJ. Repair of the ruptured distal biceps tendon: a systematic review. Am J Sports Med 2008;36:1618-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/ 0363546508321482.
|How to Cite this article: Daxini AH, Panchanadikar VM. Surgical Management of Acute Distal Biceps Rupture- A Case Report. Journal of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery July-September 2020;15(3): 24-26.|